Austhorpe Road, Cross Gates, Leeds, LS15 8QR
Revd Helen White BEd BA (minister)
0113 260 5254
Barbara Lloyd (senior steward)
Richard Holdstock (room bookings)
Oct 4th, 10:30 am – Rev'd Helen White (Zoom Service)
Oct 11th, 10:30 am – (Joint with Colton)
Oct 18th, 10:30 am – Rev'd Joyce Nicholson (Zoom Service)
Oct 25th, 10:30 am – Rev'd Helen White (Zoom Service)
In 1743 The Rev'd John Wesley came to Leeds and preached in St Peter's Church of England church in the village of Thorner. Shortly after his powerful preaching message a group of people began meeting together in the home of John Preston professing the Methodist doctrine of John Wesley. Eventually this group grew too large to worship in John Preston's house and so they relocated into a house where the village shop is today in Thorner and there's a Blue Plaque to commemorate this event located in the ginnel at the side of the shop.
A licence was granted to the people called Methodists in 1754. A chapel was dedicated in 1803 in the premises where today's chapel is located. The Rev'd John Pawson became their Minister in 1806. This became too small and was converted into a Methodist Day School when the Methodist people of Thorner moved into their new Chapel in Carr Lane in 1878 where the congregation grew to be over 150 people. This chapel remained in use until 1984 when the Methodist people of Thorner, as their numbers had declined, moved back into the 1803 chapel which had become a post office after the closing of the Methodist Day School; the post office relocating to a shop across the road. The chapel, equipped with many articles brought from the Carr Lane building, is the one in use today.
Unfortunately, the congregation has dwindled into single figures and the chapel officially closed on Sun Aug 9th 2020 with members moving on to worship at other local Methodist or Anglican Churches.